46 trucking groups take part in Wreaths Across America
This week, 46 trucking companies hauled 80 truckloads of about 325,000 fresh wreaths to be laid on graves at more than 700 veterans’ cemeteries across the nation.
The massive distribution supports Wreaths Across America, a non-profit organization that coordinates veteran services and provides schools with teaching aides for projects.
Barry Pottle, president and CEO of Pottle’s Transportation, Bangor, Maine, and a past chairman of the Truckload Carriers Association, has taken the lead in coordinating the trucking industry’s involvement with this event. “Wreaths Across America is a great cause… it has really brought the trucking industry together,” he said. “We’re united in wanting to wish veterans and their families happy holidays and to thank those who died protecting our freedom.”
Wreath Across America Day is held annually on the second Saturday of every December. The tradition of laying wreaths at Arlington National Cemetery began in 1992 when the owner of Worcester Wreath Co. found a surplus of leftover wreaths. With the help of Sen. Olympia Snowe (R-Maine), arrangements were made for the wreaths to be placed in one of the sections of the cemetery.
For more information about the Wreaths Across America program, visit WreathsAcrossAmerica.org. To volunteer trucking equipment and drivers for next year, contact Barry Pottle at (800) 370-5623 or email@example.com.
The following trucking companies and organizations have participated this year:
- AAA Cooper Transportation, Dothan, Ala.
- Allen Lund Co., La Cañada, Calif.
- American Trucking Associations, Arlington, Va.
- Baylor Trucking, Inc., Milan, Ind.
- Boyle Transportation, Billerica, Mass.
- Cargo Transporters, Claremont, N.C.
- Central Freight Lines, Waco, Texas
- Chapman Trucking, Auburn, Maine
- Cianbro, Pittsfield, Maine
- Con-way Truckload, Joplin, Mo.
- Covenant Transport, Chattanooga, Tenn.
- C.R. England, Salt Lake City, Utah
- Dart Transit, Eagan, Minn.
- Dysart’s Transportation, Bangor, Maine
- Earl L. Henderson Trucking Co., Salem, Ill.
- Estes Express Lines, Richmond, Va.
- FedEx, Dallas
- FFE Transportation Services, Dallas
- Fikes Truck Line, Hope, Ark.
- Freymiller, Oklahoma City
- G&P Trucking Co., Gaston, S.C.
- Scott Harris (independent contractor), Patten, Maine
- Hartt Transportation, Bangor, Maine
- Jagtrux, Marietta, Pa.
- Landstar System, Jacksonville, Fla.
- LAPP USA, Florham Park, N.J.
- Motor Carrier Service, Northwood, Ohio
- Oakhurst Dairy, Portland, Maine
- Perdue Trucking, Salisbury, Md.
- Portland Air Freight, Scarborough, ME
- Pottle’s Transportation, Bangor, Maine
- Prime Inc., Springfield, Mo.
- Ross Express, Boscawen, N.H.
- Ryder Transportation, Novi, Mich.
- Schilli Transportation Services, Remington, Ind.
- Schneider National, Green Bay, Wis.
- Skyline Transportation, Knoxville, Tenn.
- Swift Transportation Co., Phoenix
- Truckload Carriers Association, Alexandria, Va.
- Tennant Truck Lines, Orion, Ill.
- UPS Transportation, Atlanta
- U.S. Xpress Enterprises, Chattanooga, Tenn.
- Walmart Foundation, Bentonville, Ark.
- Watkins & Shepard Trucking, Helena, Mont.
- WEL Companies, De Pere, Wis.
- Witte Bros. Exchange, Troy, Mo.