Feature Article: An on-highway standard
An on-highway standard
By Max Kvidera
As an evolution of the Model 387, Peterbilt’s new Model 587 “sets the standard for operational efficiency, operator comfort and safety for on-highway Class 8 trucks,” says Bill Jackson, Peterbilt general manager and Paccar vice president. The model has earned SmartWay certification from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
Available with two sleeper options, the Model 587 is designed for long-haul owner-operators, fleets and teams. Features include:
• Enhanced aerodynamics, offering a 2.5 percent decrease in drag, the company says, resulting in a 1.25 percent fuel efficiency gain.
• Better overall visibility, with a 2-foot-plus improvement in the driver’s forward line of sight.
• Increased maneuverability. The newly designed steering geometry improves curb-to-curb maneuverability by 12 percent.
• Improved forward lighting. The standard halogen lights increase brightness 35 percent. A projector module design is utilized for low-beam lighting to provide enhanced road coverage and consistent light distribution. Complex reflector technology is used for high-beam lighting to extend the light pattern for down-road visibility. Optional high-intensity discharge lights improve brightness more than 200 percent.
• Smooth-opening battery/tool box, with a new gas spring design and T-handle lock.
• Stopping power. The Model 587 comes equipped with standard front Bendix air disc brakes.
• Better serviceability, with a tilt-assist hood to facilitate opening and closing.
The Model 587 features the new 2010 Paccar MX engine, rated at 380-485 horsepower, or the 2010 Cummins ISX15, available with 400-600 hp. Eaton Fuller manual and automated transmissions are available, and axle ratings range up to 46,000 lbs.
The new SmartNav in-dash telematics and information-entertainment system offers a 7-inch touch screen, a Garmin navigation system, hands-free BlueTooth phone connectivity, and optional internet access.
Also included are swivel seats, dual arm rests and 30 inches of walk-through space between seats. n
ENGINES: Paccar MX, Cummins ISX15
TRANSMISSIONS: Eaton Fuller 9-, 10-, 13-, 15- or 18-speed manual, or Eaton Fuller 10-, 13-
or 18-speed automated
FRONT AXLE: Dana Spicer 12,000 lb., 13,200 lb., 14,600 lb.
SINGLE REAR AXLE: Dana Spicer 21,000 lb., 23,000 lb., 25,000 lb., 26,000 lb. or Meritor 21,000 lb. or 23,000 lb.
A representative for a carrier who defrauded customers has been sentenced, ...