Hearty Turkey Wrap
Sometimes an apple just doesn’t cut it for me. When I’m really hungry, if I don’t choose a filling snack it’s a challenge to make it to mealtime. If you’re like me, don’t hesitate to work some healthy, yet hearty, snacks into your eating schedule. Below is a recipe for a turkey wrap (limit to one a day). It’s important to measure the higher calorie ingredients — cheese and turkey — but you can be liberal on your vegetable amounts. Just make sure the wrap isn’t overflowing, because you don’t want to deal with a big mess while driving!
HEARTY TURKEY WRAP
• 3/4 10-inch whole-wheat tortilla (take the remaining 1/4 of the tortilla, cut into strips, bake and season with your favorite spices for a healthy chip snack)
• 1 ounce low-fat cream cheese
• Big handful of lettuce or spinach
• Three slices of sandwich turkey
• Small handful of shredded carrot
• Optional: diced tomatoes or onions, mushrooms
Spread cream cheese evenly over tortilla. Distribute carrot and lettuce (or spinach) and any other optional items, and press down lightly to adhere it to the cream cheese (this will help prevent veggies from dropping out while you’re eating). Next, place turkey on top of vegetables, roll up the tortilla and put a toothpick or two through the wrap. Store in a baggie or plastic food-saver container, and store in your in-cab refrigerator or in a cooler.
"There probably should be some minimum standards. But as long as the ...