James Stack wins photo challenge
Driver James Stack, with El Paso, Ill.-based small fleet RJR Transportation, wins Truckers News’ May “Birds and Barns” photo challenge with this shot of a barn near mile marker 218 on I-80 near Bloomsburg, Pa.
Glenpool, Okla.-based Stack calls it an “almost there” reminder on his regular runs to the East Coast. His photo will be published in the July edition of the magazine, and he wins a copy of Michael Freeman’s The Photographer’s Mind.
Stack’s been shooting photographs for years, but he’s become more serious recently after acquiring a Canon PowerShot G11 with adjustable aperture/shutter settings. A few years back, he “decided to go off the road and went to school for designing websites,” he says, launching paidtourist.com. Though he achieved success, he notes the full-time desk life just wasn’t for him. The freedom of the road called, which paid dividends in his design ideas with time to think. “I still design small websites for different companies on the side,” Stack says, “like local towing companies. I did one for a broker in Colorado. And I’m working on one for RJR today.”
Visit Stack’s website at www.paidtourist.com.
This month’s contest asks for pictures of “Road signage,” whether humorous or in an interesting setting. For the first time, drivers can enter the contest simply by posting their photo to Truckers News’ Facebook page at http://facebook.com/truckersnewsmag and following up with an email of details to Senior Editor Todd Dills. Drivers with a photography interest are still encouraged to join our contest hosting Flickr.com group at http://flickr.com/groups/truckersnews. Find full contest rules below.
Prizes will include a copy of Michael Freeman’s The Photographer’s Eye, as well as publication in the August issue of the magazine.
To enter to June Road Signage challenge:
1. Post your appropriately themed, high-resolution (at least 1,500 by 900 pixels) photo to the group pool at http://flickr.com/group/truckersnews by midnight June 30. (Alternately, you may email Todd Dills at firstname.lastname@example.org if you’re having difficulty posting.)
2. Send an email with your full name, location/mailing address and your trucking business’ profile in brief (who you drive for or whether you run on your own authority as an owner-operator, etc.) to Todd Dills at email@example.com — include “photo contest” in the subject line and a link to the original Flickr location of your entered picture as well.
1. Post your appropriately themed photo to Truckers News Facebook page at http://facebook.com/truckersnewsmag by midnight June 30.
2. Send an email with your full name, location/mailing address and your trucking business’ profile in brief (who you drive for or whether you run on your own authority as an owner-operator, etc.) to Todd Dills at firstname.lastname@example.org — include “photo contest” in the subject line and indicate your Facebook profile name if different from your actual name.
3. Attach the highest-resolution version of the picture you posted to the Facebook page.