Left-coast gamble: Other CARB regs and deadlines

| October 02, 2013
Click through the image to use our interactive graphic to determine your options for getting CARB-compliant under the Truck and Bus rule in 2014.

Click through the image to use our interactive graphic to determine your options for getting CARB-compliant under the Truck and Bus rule in 2014.

Part 1 of this feature detailed the difficult yearend decision coming for owner-operators of trucks with 1996-2006 model year trucks; Part 2 elaborated on that difficulty with information on CARB’s current and potential future enforcement muscle.

In addition to the California Air Resources Board’s Statewide Truck and Bus Rule discussed in parts 1 and 2 of this series, other equipment responsibilities are included in the following rules pertaining to heavy-duty diesel truck operations. 

This Tobin Trucking van trailer is compliant with California’s GHG rule requiring skirts or other belly fairings.

This Tobin Trucking van trailer shows the side skirts required of 53-foot van or reefer trailers to maintain compliance with California’s GHG rule. Other belly fairings, if on the approved equipment list, could satisfy the reg.

GHG rule | Officially called the “Greenhouse Gas Emission Reduction Regulation,” this rule requires aerodynamic equipment on van/reefer trailers as well as use of low-rolling-resistance tires on tractors and trailers operating in California, dependent on model year of the equipment. Small fleet owner Joe Hammerslough views the GHG requirements as at least operating on cost-benefit principles – unlike the Truck and Bus Rule.

“Save 5 percent on your fuel bill, and in a year save $3,000,” he says, and you’ve in most cases paid for the device.

As of the first of the year, the rule required virtually all 53-foot van/reefer trailers (shorter trailers are exempt) operating within the state to be outfitted with SmartWay-approved skirts or other fairings and tractors and trailers to run SmartWay-approved low-rolling-resistance tires. There are phase-in options for fleets and exemptions for short-haul tractors and trailers operating within a 100-mile radius of a base terminal. Find more on the rule via this link to the CARB site.

problem emissions control labels (2)Emissions control labeling | Compliance with this rule, requiring all over-the-road diesel engines to meet applicable EPA emissions regulations for the engine’s model year and have a legible label detailing compliance with the emissions spec, was at 92 percent in 2012, according to CARB. If your label is illegible, work with the engine maker to get another.

Reefer units | The “Transport Refrigeration Unit” regulation requires reefer units to meet newer ultra-low emissions standards seven years after their model year, essentially. At the end of 2013, 2006 model-year units come under the standard and must be tested and recertified or replaced to comply. Find more information about the rule here.

APUs | If you’re running a 2007 model-year or newer engine in your truck, your diesel-fired auxiliary power unit must have a diesel particulate filter of its own verified to Level 3 particulate control specs (85 percent efficiency) or have its exhaust plumbed into the truck’s exhaust system upstream of the truck’s DPF. This one doesn’t apply to APUs on trucks with 2006 and older engines — more via this page.

Read Overdrive‘s 2009 “Ports of Confusion” feature on the drayage rule and the origins of other CARB rules.

Drayage trucks | Dray haulers operating in California ports must meet the requirement to have all equipment operating under 2007 or newer emissions specifications by the first of the year – yet another reason the used-truck market on the West Coast is short on 2007 and later engines. “Used trucks with DPFs are becoming scarce, and prices are going up,” says ATBS’ Bill McClusky. To add insult to injury for local owner-operators in California, “after Jan. 1, certainly trucks without DPFs won’t be worth much there.” Find more detail on specifics of the drayage rules here.

Click through the image to use our interactive graphic to determine your options for getting CARB-compliant under the Truck and Bus rule in 2014.

Click through the image to use our interactive graphic to determine your options for getting CARB-compliant under the Truck and Bus rule in 2014.

  • Jimmy the Greek

    The last time i was in mexaforna was 1988, and if it drpoed into the sea it would not hurt my feelings .

  • Mind Games

    Stop buying California products nationwide no matter where you are just stop buying the stuff made and nor shipped through the state of California.
    You as a consumer have a right to know where that product you are buying came from and if everyone did that the people of California would tone it down quite a bit I might add.
    Wear those T-shirts boycotting California products proudly all over the country and watch those eyes light up as you explain all the stuff that Walmart sells and all the little snacks they sell are just all over the place and to spread the message loud and clear call into XM Radio and ask others to join us and the corporations in that state will be on their knees begging for mercy not even a liberal lawsuit can stop this type of freight train!!!
    They think we are dirty nasty truck drivers and or owners let’s show em some real dirt!!!!!!!!!
    Let’s get naaaaastyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!

  • hacksaw

    being a retired oversized hauler and having been out of touch for the last few years what is the deal with a blow out on super singles if the rim is in the dirt, You weigh 90M and you are in CA. at the intersection of I-10 turning to I-15. What does CARB say about that. Dip Sticks

  • Julia Ferrell Harris

    These regs should be illegal in so many ways just beginning with the interruption of interstate commerce. You can regulate all the in state based trucks you want, but I should not have to comply with your crap when I live in Texas! Haven’t been to CA in years and have absolutely no intention of ever returning! Crap doesn’t pay going out there and it pays even less coming out. I can do just fine without going to CA, but I should have that option and not have to comply with ONE state’s regulations!!

  • Myron LInd

    Umm, you do have that option.

  • bigred

    Every truck pays a Heavy Vehicle Tax of 550 bucks a year and now unless we abide by these ridiculous Ca. new laws we cannot go in the state. How do we divvy this money up for those that won`t go there because of these laws I might ask????

  • Julia Ferrell Harris

    I survive quite well not going to California. However, I believe that their laws should be struck down because they interfere with interstate commerce.

  • Tuga53

    Having been a resident of The Peoples Republic of California for 50 years prior to becoming a political refugee in Nevada, I can assure you that the “people” of that fair state have no clue what their state agencies are foisting on the rest of the country. The rules are outrageous. You cannot idle in peak heat to rest to be safe. If you have a pet in the truck you must idle or get the death penalty!! I’m gonna buy a bunch of land on the state line & build a cross dock. I’ll charge the California side $100.00 a pound and the Nevada side will be free. If Calif. wants to ship or receive let them come to the rest of the world!

  • drsparkey3

    I just don’t run the Union of the Peoples Republic of the Sovietfornia any more.

OverdriveOnline.com strives to maintain an open forum for reader opinions. Click here to read our comment policy.