2. East Bound and Down, by Jerry Reed (1977)
Reed’s classic theme song in “Smokey and the Bandit” came in a close second.
This tells the story of a homebound boy whose trucker father was killed in an accident, and the driver friendships he cultivates via his CB radio.
4. Convoy, by C.W. McCall (1975)
The truck drivers’ rebellion depicted in this No. 1 pop- and country-chart hit was the inspiration for the Sam Peckinpah film of the same name. Its dramatization of CB chatter between characters Rubber Duck and Pig Pen helped spur on that era’s pop CB craze.
The chorus of this gem, told from a trucker’s child’s point of view, is pure highway singalong: “Roll on highway, roll on along / Roll on daddy till you get back home / Roll on family, roll on crew / Roll on momma like I asked you to do..”
6. Prisoner of the Highway, by Ronnie Milsap (1984)
An evocation of the pull of the highway and the difficulty of the driving life.
7. Drivin’ My Life Away, by Eddie Rabbitt (1980)
Inspired in part by Rabbitt’s truck driving days when struggling as a songwriter in Nashville.
8 Movin’ On, by Merle Haggard (1974)
Theme song to the trucking television show of the same name starring Claude Atkins.
9. Phantom 309, by Red Sovine (1967)
The tale of a hitchhiker’s ghost trucking ride, a take on the iconic urban legend of the vanishing hitchhiker.
10. Give Me Forty Acres (To Turn This Rig Around), by the Willis Brothers (1964)
“Some guys can turn it on a dime, or turn it right downtown / But I need 40 acres to turn this rig around.”
Freewheelin’s top trucking tunes since 1985
The hits keep rollin’
Meredith Ochs and Chris T., hosts of the Freewheelin’ show on SiriusXM’s Road Dog Trucking Radio, Channel 106, put together their top 10 of songs from 1985 forward, with an emphasis on more recent tunes:
1. “Trucker’s Lament,” by Buck 65 (2007)
2. “I’m a Road Hammer,” by the Road Hammers (2005)
3. “Asphalt Cowboy,” by Jason Aldean (2005)
4. “Highway Junkie,” by Chris Knight (2000)
5. “Let This Trucker Go,” by Dale Watson (2009)
6. “Diesel, Diesel, Diesel,” by Del Reeves and Jim Lauderdale (1996)
7. “Say a Prayer for Jason,” by Barry Allen and David Ayers (2010)
8. “Gear Jammer,” by George Thorogood (1985)
9. “The Worst Truck Driver,” by Jack Grace Band (2010)
10. “Ice Road Trucker,” by Johnny Neel (2010)
The best dog story contest
Tell us about your special four-footed friend and, if possible, send us a photo. You could win a contest sponsored by OverdriveRetro, our website dedicated to trucking history. Entries will be will be accepted through Nov. 30 and posted online and some in print. Four entrants will win OverdriveRetro T-shirts and other gifts. Send entries to Managing Editor Lucinda Coulter, LCoulter@rrpub.com, or to 3200 Rice Mine Road NE, Tuscaloosa, Ala., 35406. Include your first and last name, phone and email.