Soaring fuel costs
Production of FreedomLine transmissions will remain in ArvinMeritor’s Laurinburg, N.C., facility, and the manual-transmission work force will be absorbed into production of other components.
“We are absolutely convinced that we have the most advanced and proven technology solution with the FreedomLine for our North American customers,” Tom Gosnell, president of the company’s Commercial Vehicle Systems business unit, said in a statement.
- Paul Richards
InCab University Offers Over-the-Road Degrees
Truckers wanting to further their education while still earning a living as a driver have a new option designed for their lifestyle.
TransMarkets Technologies, a software and e-commerce provider to the trucking industry, and Chattanooga State Technical Community College announced Monday the official launch of InCab University.
“Using any Internet-enabled PC or laptop, drivers can receive education without ever having to step inside a classroom,” TransMarkets CEO Craig Fuller said.
InCab University is an online and on-demand accredited college degree and certificate program offered through Chattanooga State. This means that drivers can start courses anytime and have 16 weeks to complete them.
Professors for the InCab University have been recruited nationwide and undergo an orientation program to ensure the educator understands the trucking lifestyle.
“We modeled InCab on the success and effectiveness of the GI bill,” Fuller said.
InCab University courses will begin Aug. 15 with 26 courses available. It will expand to more than 100 courses in early 2007.
Degree programs include:
- Associate of Science (general with an emphasis in behavioral science)
- Associate of Science (business administration)
- Associate of Arts ( general with an emphasis in humanities)
- Associate in Applied Science (fire science technology with an emphasis in fire science management)
- Associate in Applied Science (management with an emphasis in transporation)
- Associated in Applied Science (information systems technology with an emphasis in end-user support)
Certificate programs include:
- Certificate in Wellness
- Certificate in computer automated design
- Certificate in Supervisory development
- Certificate in e-commerce
- Certificate in Web design
- Certificate in management (emphasis in transportation)
A degree program and certificate program in homeland defense and security are planned for the future.
In the final phase of development, InCab U tested the program using several drivers from Covenant Transport. “I enjoyed the course offerings, and I know that whether I’m in Las Vegas or Atlanta, a truckstop or rest area, I have the educational opportunity of a lifetime at my fingertips without sacrificing my income,” said Covenant Executive Council driver Stephen Fraser.
Fuller said cost is approximately $250 per course hour. Financial aid is available through Chattanooga State.