Muralt’s Travel Plaza held its eighth annual Drive to Save Lives blood drive, along with the NATSO Foundation. The blood drive was held Sept. 24-28, and 531 pints were donated. This year’s goal was originally 400 pints of blood, but Walt Muralt, general manager of Missoula, Mont., says interest increased after the terrorist attacks.
“Our local Red Cross people have told us they are booked solid for appointments to give blood after what happened that Tuesday,” he says.
NATSO kicked off the blood drive on April 9 in Alexandria, Va.
For a list of upcoming NATSO blood drives, visit www.blooddrivecentral.org, or to schedule a donation call the Red Cross at (800) GIVE-LIFE.
Other charitable agencies include:
- American Red Cross blood donations: www.redcross.org/where/where.html; (800) 448-3543.
- The Salvation Army: www.store.yahoo.com/salvationarmy; (800) SAL-ARMY.
- September 11 Fund: www.september11fund.org; (800) 710-8002.
- New York State World Trade Center Relief Fund: www.helping.org; (800) 801-8092; New York State World Trade Center Relief Fund, P.O. Box 5028, Albany, NY 12205.
- New York Firefighters 9-11 Disaster Relief Fund: www.iaff.org; New York Firefighters 9-11 Disaster Relief Fund, P.O. Box 65858, Washington, D.C. 20035-5858.
- WTC Police Disaster Relief Fund: www.nysfop.org; (888) NYS1FOP; NYSFOP Foundation, WTC Police Disaster Fund, 911 Police Plaza, Hicksville, NY 11801.
- Washington Hospital Center Foundation: (202) 877-6558; Burn
Center Fund, Washington Hospital Center Foundation, 110 Irving St., N.W., Washington, D.C. 20010-2975.
- The Survivors’ Fund of the Community Foundation of the National Capital Region: www.cfncr.org; (202) 955-5890; Survivors’ Fund, Community Foundation of the National Capital Region, 1112 16th St., N.W., Suite 340, Washington, D.C. 20036.
- Twin Towers Fund: www.helping.org; Twin Towers Fund, General Post Office, P.O. Box 26999, New York, NY 10087-6999.