TCA names 20 top fleets
The Truckload Carriers Association and CarriersEdge have named 20 North American for-hire trucking companies as winners of the 2011 Best Fleets to Drive For contest and survey.
Company drivers and owner operators were asked to nominate carriers that operate 10 trucks or more. CarriersEdge interviewed human resources representatives and executives of the nominated fleets about their corporate direction, policies and programs. Nominated fleets were evaluated on various categories, such total compensation package, health benefits, career path and advancement opportunities, and annual driver turnover rate.
Those selected are:
• 1st Express Inc. – Toledo, Ohio
• Best Cartage – Kernersville, N.C.
• Bison Transport – Winnipeg, Man.
• Boyd Bros. Transportation Inc. – Clayton, Ala.
• Con-way Truckload – Joplin, Mo.
• Dart Transit Co. – Eagan, Minn.
• Don Hummer Trucking – Oxford, Iowa
• Erb Group – New Hamburg, Ont.
• Fremont Contract Carriers – Fremont, Neb.
• Kennesaw Transportation – Rydal, Ga.
• Brian Kurtz Trucking – Breslau, Ont.
• MacKinnon Transport – Guelph, Ont.
• Paramount Freight Systems – Ft. Myers, Fla.
• Pride Transport Inc. – Salt Lake City, Utah
• Schneider National – Green Bay, Wis.
• Motor Carrier Service, Inc. – Northwood, Ohio
• Trimac Transportation – Houston
• Vedder Transportation Group – Abbotsford, B.C.
• WTI Transport, Inc. – Tuscaloosa, Ala.
• Yanke Group – Saskatoon, Sask.
In addition, five companies have been identified as “Fleets to Watch” (honorable mentions):
• Drive Logistics – Windsor, Ont.
• Hueneman Trucking – Garner, Iowa
• Tennant Truck Lines Inc. – Orion, Ill.
• Spirit Truck Lines Inc. – San Juan, Texas
• Turk Enterprises – St. Andrews, Man.
TCA attributes this heightened interest to more awareness of the Best Fleets program. John Kaburick, chairman of TCA and president of Earl L. Henderson Trucking Co., Salem, Ill., said, “After each contest and survey cycle, we compile and widely publicize the best practices of each winning fleet. The results are a snapshot of excellence. It’s only natural for drivers and fleets to want to be a part of this.”
The next phase of the contest is to choose the highest scoring fleets from each of two categories: Best Overall Fleet for Owner Operators and Best Overall Fleet for Company Drivers, sponsored by Marsh Inc. These winners will be honored at the TCA Annual Convention, March 13-16 in San Diego.
Gaines Motor Lines has agreed to pay $262,500 to four former drivers who the ...