Trucker Buddy International honors driver pen pals
Trucker Buddy International recognized its 12 monthly winners from 2010 last week at a trucking industry event in Louisville, Ky. The program helps educate students via a pen pal relationship between drivers and children in grades K-8.
The December honoree, Mercer driver Steven Dyer, got a special treat when four students from his adopted class at Carr Creek Elementary, in Hindman, Ky., came on stage to talk about their relationship with Dyer. One student read a poem about Dyer that ended, “You‘re in our hearts forever.”
Other honorees and their companies are:
- Mike Shultz, Henderson Trucking.
- Shelia Logan, Interstate Distributors.
- Jacab Person, K&B Transportation.
- Allen Button, WEL Companies.
- Carl Ziehlke, Walmart.
- Herbert Wells, Prime Inc.
- Richard and Linda Thomas, Interstate Distributors.
- Chuck Lobsiger, Walmart.
- Mike and Kristy Seastrom, Tri-State Motor Transit Co.
- Chris Winkler, Zernicke Trucking.
- Chris Sawyer, Old Dominion.
Earlier this year, Trucker Buddy announced it would take nominations for its new Teacher of the Month Award, said Randy Schwartzenburg, Trucker Buddy executive director. Winning teachers will be recognized at the Great West Truck Show in Las Vegas each June.
“Without our fantastic teachers, the Trucker Buddy program would not create an atmosphere of learning and achievements, helping young students grow academically,” Schwartzenburg said.
He announced new officers:
- President: Don Darden, Bridgestone Americas
- Vice president: Elizabeth Barna, American Trucking Associations
- Treasurer: Steve Sichterman, ACS – A Xerox Company
- Secretary: K.C. Brau, Crete Carriers
The new board of directors is:
- Mark Zickos, Frito-Lay
- David Giroux, Meritor
- Gary Darnell, Walmart
- Dennis Day, Conway Transportation (driver)
"There probably should be some minimum standards. But as long as the ...