11 carriers selected for TCA weight-loss contest
The Truckload Carriers Association has selected 11 trucking companies to participate in Trucking’s Weight Loss Showdown, a competition with prizes for the fleet and individual who achieve the greatest percentages of weight loss.
The participants are:
- Bestway Express Inc., Vincennes, Ind.
- Bison Transport Inc., Winnipeg, Manitoba
- Brian Kurtz Trucking Ltd., Breslau, Ontario
- Excargo Services, Houston, Texas
- Hirschbach Transportation Services Inc., East Dubuque, Ill.
- Paramount Freight Systems, Fort Myers, Fla.
- Prime Inc., Springfield, Mo.
- System Transport Inc., Spokane, Wash.
- Tennant Truck Lines, Orion, Ill.
- U.S. Xpress Inc., Chattanooga, Tenn.
- Weinrich Truck Line Inc., Hinton, Iowa
Companies completed an application that included a short statement of intent. One company wrote: “Forty years old is the average age of our team. These folks are beginning to experience the devastating impact of obesity. This Showdown will give them a chance to literally save their lives.”
Another trucking company wrote: “There is a huge need for programs like this one, and it has been widely received by our staff and drivers with open arms. Not one of our team members has asked what the reward is because they truly need the help and guidance! They understand that having support to try and get on this path to health is the reward.”
The Showdown is scheduled to last 10 weeks, beginning Jan. 24, and will be managed for TCA by Lindora Clinic, a personalized weight management company. It will stress a low-carbohydrate, low-fat, moderate protein menu plan coupled with exercise, nutrition education, and lifestyle changes. Participants will receive weekly phone calls from Lindora nurses, who will instruct them on nutrition education, help boost their morale, discuss their obstacles, and record their weight loss.
The winners – both fleet and individual – will be announced in May at TCA’s Safety & Security Division Annual Meeting.