Rachel Reyes is not a driver, though with her South Texas Claims small business and work as a field adjuster, she helps them out of accident situations daily. “I’ve been handling tractor-trailer accidents and cargo claims for 13 years,” she says.
Reyes’ photo, a rare shot of a hummingbird in flight posted to our Facebook page, won our July photo contest.
Reyes has made an insurance specialty out of defending truckers in accident situations: “I’ll handle any type of claim,” she says, “but I like working for the trucking carriers. When I come upon the scene of an accident, mainly I’m very interested in helping the drivers and coming to their defense.”
Reyes participated in the photo challenge via the magazine’s Facebook page at http://facebook.com/truckersnewsmag. Drivers can also participate in Truckers News’ monthly photo challenge via the magazine’s Flickr.com photo-sharing group at http://flickr.com/groups/truckersnews.
She took home a copy of Ben Long’s Complete Digital Photography guidebook, as well as publication in Truckers News’ September issue, as prize.
August’s photo challenge: The Wait
How do you spend your time waiting at shipper/receiver facilities, stopped dead in traffic or on your 10-hour break? This month’s photo challenge encourages you to spend some of that time shooting pictures. Winning photos will be published in the October edition of Truckers News, and this month’s winner also receives Bryan Peterson’s “Understand Exposure,” a guide to exposure in digital shooting.
Drivers can enter via our Flickr photo group (http://flickr.com/groups/truckersnews) or by posting photos here on our Facebook page’s wall and following up with an email of details to Senior Editor Todd Dills. Drivers with a photography interest are encouraged to join the group here. Find full contest rules below.
Past winners of the challenge will not be eligible to compete for the prizes for six months, but are encouraged to shoot to the theme.
To enter the August challenge:
1. Post your appropriately themed, high-resolution (at least 1,500 by 900 pixels) photo to the group pool at http://flickr.com/group/truckersnews by midnight Aug. 31. (Alternately, you may email Todd Dills at email@example.com if you’re having difficulty posting.)
2. Send an email with your full name, location/mailing address and your trucking business’ profile in brief (who you drive for or whether you run on your own authority as an owner-operator, etc.) to Todd Dills at firstname.lastname@example.org — include “photo contest” in the subject line and a link to the original Flickr location of your entered picture as well.
1. Post your appropriately themed photo to Truckers News Facebook page at http://facebook.com/truckersnewsmag by midnight Aug. 31.
2. Send an email with your full name, location/mailing address and your trucking business’ profile in brief (who you drive for or whether you run on your own authority as an owner-operator, etc.) to Todd Dills at email@example.com — include “photo contest” in the subject line and indicate your Facebook profile name if different from your actual name.
3. Attach the highest-resolution version of the picture you posted to the Facebook page.
On March 18, Weddle’s trailer crossed over the centerline of the highway, ...