The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration has developed a revised schedule for the rollout of the Comprehensive Safety Analysis 2010.
Here are the important dates in the rollout timeline:
• Now until Nov. 30 – Motor carriers can preview their own data by seeing their roadside inspections/violations and crash events organized by Behavior Analysis and Safety Improvement Category (BASIC).
• June 30 – The Operational Model (Op-Model) Test will end.
• July – The four “50/50” Op-Model Test states, Colorado, Georgia, Missouri and New Jersey, will join the five 100 percent Op-Model Test states in implementing the program.
• August – Motor carriers will be able to see an assessment of their violations based on the new Carrier Safety Measurement System (CSMS) that will replace SafeStat later in 2010.
• Fall/Winter 2010 – SafeStat will be replaced by the CSMS. CSMS will be available to the public, including shippers and insurance companies. FMCSA/states will prioritize enforcement using the CSMS. FMCSA will begin to issue Warning Letters to carriers with deficient BASICs. Roadside inspectors will use the CSMS results to identify carriers for inspection.
• Winter 2010 – Safety Fitness Determination Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) is scheduled to be released.
• 2011 – Enforcement staff will be trained, and new interventions will be implemented in each state.
CSA 2010 does not give FMCSA the authority to remove 175,000 drivers from their jobs and cannot be used to rate drivers or to revoke a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL). FMCSA does not have the authority to take those actions. Only state agencies responsible for issuing licenses, CDL or otherwise, have the authority to suspend them.
CSA 2010 does introduce a driver safety assessment tool to help enforcement staff evaluate drivers’ safety as part of motor carrier investigations.
FMCSA has created a Just the Facts flyer that sets the records straight on the most common myths about the program. Click here.
On March 18, Weddle’s trailer crossed over the centerline of the highway, ...