Ease the freeze
Overdrive Staff | January 03, 2006
Cold Weather Protection
- Avoid getting wet, because wet clothing loses 90 percent of its insulating value.
- Avoid alcohol in cold conditions.
- Plan ahead by always carrying blankets, matches, a first aid kit and a mobile phone in case of emergency.
- If you or someone else is suffering from hypothermia or frostbite, do not rub the skin. This can tear the skin and cause tissue damage.
- ALWAYS wear a hat, gloves and a scarf in cold weather. Insulated boots are also a good idea.
- Avoid exertion in cold weather, especially if you have heart disease or high blood pressure. Your circulatory system is already working hard to keep your body warm.