Fern Richard was named the Grand Champion in Maine’s Truck Driving Championship in May.
Richard is a founding member of the Maine Professional Drivers Association and has won in his class on seven previous occasions. He drives for A-P-A Transport and has been recognized for helping motorists. As a MPDA Roadteam member, Richard informed the public about the trucking industry and shared highway safety tips with driver education classes. He and his wife, Joanne, live in Lewiston, Maine, and have two daughters.
Winners in the truck driving championships were:
- Harold Sherwood, Pottle’s Transportation, Straight Truck
- Randy Devault, Roadway Express, 3 Axle Tractor Trailer
- Denis Litalien, Shaw’s Supermarkets, 4 Axle Van
- Jeffrey Bellfleur, Associated Grocers, 5 Axle Van
- Peter Corriveau, R.F. Chamberland Co., 5 Axle Sleeper
- Mark Morrow, BOC Gases, 5 Axle Tanker
- Sam Hake, Hartt Transportation, 5 Axle Flatbed
- Fern Richard, A-P-A Transport, Twin Trailers
- Raymond Rogers, American Freightways, Best Pre-trip Vehicle Safety Inspection
- Warren Lewis, Tim Estabrook and Denis Litalien (tied), Best Written Test
- Hannaford Trucking Co., Team Award