Peterbilt launches Model 587
Peterbilt Motors Co. today, March 24, introduced the new on-highway, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s SmartWay-certified Model 587.
The company said as an evolution of its Model 387, the new Model 587 is Peterbilt’s new standard for on-highway fuel efficiency, technology and serviceability.
Available with two sleepers or in a day cab configuration, the Model 587 is designed for long-haul fleets, driving teams and owner-operators.
The Model 587 day cab captures the fuel efficiency and aerodynamic styling of the Model 587 and transforms it into a day cab configuration for tanker and regional haul applications. The cab interior has swivel seats, dual arm rests and a 30-inch walk-through space.
According to the company, the new Model 587 features:
• Aerodynamics – A 2.5 percent decrease in drag that results in a 1.25 percent fuel efficiency gain.
• Better overall visibility – The Model 587 provides an over 2-foot improvement in the driver’s forward line of sight.
• Increased maneuverability – The newly designed steering geometry improved curb-to-curb maneuverability by 12 percent.
• Improved forward lighting – An increase of 35 percent brightness is achieved with the Model 587’s standard halogen lights. A projector module design is utilized for low beam lighting to provide enhanced road coverage and consistent light distribution. Complex reflector technology is used for high beam lighting to extend the light pattern for down road visibility. Optional High Intensity Discharge lights provide over a 200 percent increase in brightness.
• Battery/tool box – A new gas spring design facilitates opening and closing and includes a T-handle lock.
• Safety – The Model 587 comes equipped with standard front Bendix air disc brakes.
• Serviceability – The hood features tilt-assist to facilitate hood opening and closing as well as an advanced anti-blow down protection device to help protect technicians.
The Model 587 features the new 2010 PACCAR MX engine rated at 380 – 485 horsepower or the 2010 Cummins ISX15 available with a horsepower range of 400 to 600. Fuller manual and automatic transmissions are available with axle ratings up to 46,000 lbs.