Peterbilt launches Model 587
Peterbilt also announced the availability of the new Paccar MX engine for Class 8 vehicles. Beginning in summer 2010, the new engine will be available in Peterbilt Models 587, 388, 386, 384, 367 and 365. The engine is available with a horsepower range of 380hp-485hp and torque outputs up to 1,750 lb.-ft. with a displacement of 12.9 liters. The engine uses Selective Catalytic Reduction in combination with exhaust gas recirculation to meet the EPA 2010 diesel engine emissions regulations.
In other news, Peterbilt:
- Unveiled the Model 382 day cab for regional and shorter haul applications. It is powered by a new 2010 Cummins ISL9 with ratings range from 345-380 hp with a maximum 1300 lb.-ft. of torque.
- Announced the availability of the new Paccar in-dash system, SmartNav, which features the navigation, vehicle diagnostics, communication and entertainment technologies in a touch-screen-operated unit customized for the trucking industry. SmartNav will be standard on all Peterbilt Premium level interiors, and as an available option on other interiors beginning in September.
- Announced it will offer the Bendix Wingman Active Cruise with Braking, a radar-based collision mitigation technology, on the Models 389, 388, 587, 386, 384, 382, 367 and 365.
- Announced the availability of an extended day cab for its complete lineup of Class 8 vehicles. The extended day cab option adds 10 inches to its standard cab length. Additionally, the extended cab offers 2.5 inches of additional seat travel behind the wheel, 92 percent more seat room to recline and 4.5 cubic feet of storage behind the driver’s seat.
- Announced immediate availability of the Fuller UltraShift PLUS Linehaul Active Shifting (Vocational Construction Series and Vocational Multipurpose Series) transmissions for Peterbilt Models 389, 388, 587, 386, 384, 367 and 365.
- Announced the launch of its SmartSound package, designed to reduce cab noise and driver fatigue.
- Announced the limited production availability of the Model 320 Hybrid Class 8 refuse truck.
- Announced full production capability of natural gas powered Peterbilt truck Models 384, 365 and 320.
- Announced an All-Wheel Drive option available for Models 337 and 348.