Schedule C deductions

| January 04, 2002

You work hard as an owner-operator to maximize your revenue. That’s great – until tax time. You and your accountant should work just as hard all year-round to document every possible trucking expense so you can lower the income you report to the Internal Revenue Service. Most of these business deductions can be claimed on Schedule C.

Always try to get a receipt, even if it’s handwritten. For business-related expenses for which you can’t get a receipt, such as laundry, showers and truck washes, keep a record of all your purchases.

Meals. For the 2001 tax year, you can take 60 percent of $38 for each day on the road – $22.80 per day, a total known as the per diem – or you can take 60 percent of the total of your meal receipts.

Because most truckers don’t spend $38 a day on meals, it makes sense to use the per diem. It’s also less hassle because you don’t have to keep meal receipts. But you must stick with one method. You can’t use the per diem some days and the actual amount others.

If you treat a dockworker or a customer to a meal, you can deduct 50 percent of the cost of that meal. Document the date, who was present, the amount and where you ate.

Gifts. In addition to meals and entertainment for customers, you are allowed to deduct the cost of business gifts, such as flowers or a pen-and-pencil set, up to $25 per year per person. Be sure to keep receipts.

Health-insurance premiums. Remember that health-insurance premiums are not deductible on Schedule C. Rather, they are an adjustment to income (shown on the first page of your Form 1040). For 2001, the adjustment is 60 percent. You can add the remaining 40 percent to your general medical expenses and deduct it on Schedule A. The amount must exceed 7.5 percent of your adjusted gross income, however. If your AGI is $50,000, for example, you can deduct only medical expenses exceeding $3,750 (7.5 percent of $50,000).

Home office. It is easier than ever to deduct home-office expenses. For tax year 2001, you can deduct expenses associated with using part of your home as an office if you follow a few rules.

The room or part of the house must be used only for business purposes. Putting a desk in your den or kitchen doesn’t make the room an office.

To determine the percentage of household expenses (rent, utilities and so on) allowed as business expenses, determine the percentage of your house that room represents. You can do that either by counting rooms or by counting square footage. If you use one room, and the house has 10 rooms, you can use 10 percent of all household expenses as a business expense. Or, if the space you’re using is 200 square feet in a 1,600-square-foot home, you can use 12.5 percent (200/1,600) of all household expenses as a business expense.

If you claim a home office, take photos of the furnishings and equipment as support for your claim.

Personal vehicle. Use of your personal vehicle for business can be written off at 34.5 cents per mile. Examples of business use are trips to the post office, the repair shop, a parts store, the bank or a store for trip supplies. Keep track of the mileage in a separate book. If your personal vehicle is financed, you can deduct a portion of the interest and the vehicle license fees.

Parking. Parking fees charged by some truck stops or for commercial parking when you’re at home are deductible. Paying someone to move your truck into a garage for protection against the elements is also deductible.

While OverdriveOnline.com strives to maintain an open forum for reader opinions, it does not welcome comments reflecting racism, vulgarity or spam. Violations of this policy can be grounds for removal of a comment or banning a user from the comments system.

Comments are closed.