Name: Shanae Burshem
Occupation: Company Driver
Company: Eckblad Trucking, Inc.
Years driving: 3
What do you haul?: Grain
1. Why did you get into trucking?
After getting laid off from my office job, I struggled finding work. I had known Kevin Eckblad (Eckblad Trucking) for years, and he offered me the chance. I figured, “What have I got to lose?” And I’ve never looked back (unless I’m backing into a farm-yard, of course).
2. If you could take one person on the road with you, who would it be, and why?
My dad- He’s getting older, but he’s always the first to tell people that I’m a truck driver, and the pride just radiates off of his face (he even carries a print-out of the “Top 10” announcement wherever he goes).
3. What would you tell a young female who is considering a career in truck driving? Feel free to include information about your own experiences as a female entering the industry.
Develop thick skin, if you don’t have it already. There are a lot of skeptics out there, so you’ve got to be able to shrug it off and prove them wrong; but at the same time, don’t be too proud to ask for help.
4. What is your definition of a beautiful trucker?
Confidence without arrogance, and always helping others; even if it’s just by putting a smile on their face.
5. Why should you be chosen as the winner of Overdrive’s Most Beautiful?
I go out of my way to help, and I love being able to put a smile on the faces of others. I’m not afraid of hard work or getting my hands dirty, and I take great pride in what I do. I’m honored to be a part of the industry that keeps America moving, and I strive to be a positive representative for the trucking community.
"Until a formal regulation is established with clear guidelines and borders ...