Manufacturers can invalidate warranties for many reasons. Here are some tips to keep you in the clear:
• Keep all service records to help verify your maintenance habits.
• With coolant/antifreeze, ensure not just that the quantity is sufficient and that dilution is proper, but that coolant additives are adequately replenished.
• Do routine inspections of common problem items such as hoses, clamps, belts, harnesses, radiator cap, seals, tire pressure, clutch adjustment (even with a self-adjusting clutch) and transmission and axle breather/air-vent locations.
• Inspect suspension systems for proper torque on U-bolts, frame bolts and mounting hardware.
• Adhere to manufacturer specs for oil, other fluids and grease.
• Do not extend oil changes beyond manufacturer limits unless you do oil analysis and get engine maker approval.
• Heed dashboard warning lights.
• Use a low-enough gear when starting to drive and shift smoothly.
• Avoid excessive idling.
• Do not over-rev the engine during extended downhill braking.
South Carolina truck operator Arnold Williams has been sentenced to time ...