Bendix has announced it is making available a no-cost permanent remedy kit for trailers affected by a recent recall campaign.
More than 15 trailer manufacturers have recalled nearly 40,000 trailers equipped with the Bendix SR-5 spring brake valve, which is sold outright and also included in Bendix antilock braking (ABS) kits for trailers.
In response to the recall, Bendix part number K140496 is now available free of charge to enable repair of Bendix SR-5 spring brake valves identified in the voluntary safety recall campaign. Bendix has directed owners of the trailers to work through their trailer manufacturer or an authorized Bendix parts outlet – depending on how each manufacturer has elected to administer the recall – to obtain the remedy kit.
Bendix notified the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration in May of the start of a voluntary safety recall campaign involving all Bendix SR-5 trailer spring brake valves manufactured between Jan. 1, 2014 and March 4, 2016.
Bendix says, under a combination of a unique set of circumstances, it is possible – though not probable – for an internal leakage to develop in the SR-5 unit, resulting in slow-to-apply spring brakes when parking the trailer. The leak is heard or observed at the supply (red) gladhand when uncoupled from the tractor – or, if coupled, from the exhaust of the park control valve. This issue does not affect the tractor brakes, Bendix adds.
As remedy kits are shipped, Bendix asks trailer owners to follow the instructions provided in direct communications from their manufacturer or Bendix in the coming weeks.
Bendix says representatives are available to help trailer owners with questions about the recall weekdays 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Eastern, toll-free at 1-877-345-9526, or by email at SR5campaign@bendix.com. Information is also available at the company’s online Product Action Center. Applicable information on the recall is available and refreshed often, Bendix says.
The full list of trailers affected by the recall is as follows:
- 2015-2017 Brenner liquid tank
- 2015-2016 Cheetah Bridgemaster chassis
- 2016 Cheetah curtainside flatbed
- 2015-2016 Cheetah extendable chassis
- 2015 Cheetah flatbed
- 2014-2016 Cheetah gooseneck chassis
- 2015-2016 Cheetah straight frame chassis
- 2014-2016 East flatbed
- 2014-2016 East flatbed tipper
- 2014-2016 East frame dump
- 2015-2017 Fontaine Revolution
- 2015-2017 Great Dane dry van
- 2015-2017 Great Dane reefer
- 2015-2017 Great Dane flatbed
- 2014-2016 Hackney beverage trailers
- 2014-2016 Heil crude trailer
- 2014-2016 Heil dry bulk trailer
- 2014-2016 Heil flatbed
- 2014-2016 Heil petroleum pull trailer
- 2004-2016 Hyundai Translead chassis
- 2004-2016 Hyundai Translead container
- 2004-2016 Hyundai Translead van reefer
- 2004-2016 Hyundai Translead van trailer
- 2014-2016 Kindron reefer trailers
- 2016 Manac flatbed
- 2017-2018 Manac van trailer
- 2014-2016 Polar Tank DOT 406 tank trailer
- 2014-2016 Polar Tank DOT 407 tank trailer
- 2014-2016 Polar Tank DOT 412 tank trailer
- 2014-2015 Polar Tank MC 331 tank trailer
- 2014-2016 Polar Tank non-code tank trailer
- 2015, 2017 Strick tandem axle van trailers
- 2015-2017 Transcraft platform trailers
- 2014-2016 Utility dry van trailers
- 2014-2016 Utility flatbed trailers
- 2014-2016 Utility reefer trailers
- 2015-2016 Vermeer TR620
- 2015-2016 Vermeer TR626
- 2014-2016 Vermeer DT6
- 2014-2016 Vermeer HG4000
- 2014-2016 Vermeer HG6000
- 2014-2016 Vermeer HG8000
- 2014-2016 Vermeer TG5000
- 2014-2016 Vermeer TG7000
- 2014-2015 Vermeer TG9000
- 2014-2016 Vermeer WC2300XL
- 2015-2016 Vermeer WC2500XL
- 2015-2017 Wabash National van trailers
- 2015 Wilson CD-1080
- 2015 Wilson DWH-550