Ten rookie driver military veterans have been named finalists in the Transition Trucking: Driving for Excellence contest, the winner of which will receive a fully loaded Kenworth T680 with a 76-inch sleeper and a 13-liter Paccar MX engine.
Kenworth teamed with the FASTPORT Trucking Track Mentoring Program and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce Foundation’s Hiring our Heroes Program to find America’s top rookie military veteran, who has made the successful transition from active duty to driving for a commercial fleet. This is the fourth year of the contest.
The finalists, listed with their military branch of service and current truck fleet, include:
- Chris Bacon/U.S. Marines/TMC Transportation
- Thomas Blitch/U.S. Navy and Naval Reserves/Werner Enterprises
- Wade Bumgarner/U.S. Navy/Veriha Trucking
- Joseph Campbell/U.S. Marines and U.S. Army/Roehl Transport
- Keso Going/U.S. Army/Epes Transport
- Steve Harris/U.S. Marines/Stevens Transport
- Kevin Lassing/ U.S. Army/U.S. Xpress
- Maliq Melton, U.S. Army, Melton Truck Lines.
- Monte Morrone/U.S. Army and U.S. Marines/Prime Inc.
- Tim Raub/ U.S. Navy/Averitt Express
Drivers were nominated by trucking companies that made a hiring commitment and pledge to hire veterans on truckingtrack.org or by members of the National Association of Publicly Funded Truck Driving Schools or Commercial Vehicle Training Association-member school.
During the Great American Trucking Show (GATS) Aug 22-24 in Dallas, three finalists in the recognition program will be announced. All 10 drivers will receive special recognition at the President George W. Bush Library during a tour and reception. The final winner will be announced in December.