Partners in Business tip: Hire the kids

Updated Aug 10, 2022

If you put an adolescent child on the payroll and pay him or her, say, $4,000 for the year, they pay no taxes on the income because they didn’t make enough. And you pay no tax on it, either. Make sure the kids are doing age-appropriate work and keep documentation of it, including filing a W-2 form just as you would do with an adult employee.

The Partners in Business program is produced by Overdrive and the consultants at ATBS, the nation’s largest owner-operator business services firm. Download the comprehensive "Partners in Business" owner-operator business manual, covering topics from start-up to expansion with multiple trucks. There, find much more information about the ins and outs of safety, maintenance and business processes, among a myriad other topics. 

Click here to see more quick-hit Partners in Business tips.