Previously in this series:
Sikhs have been a growing part of America’s professional driver force for three decades. Though there are tens of thousands in trucking, non-Sikh counterparts have ...
The Sikh religion was founded in northern India in the 15th century. Sikh (pronounced “sick”) means “disciple” or “learner.” Traditionally, Sikhs believe in three basic principles: meditating on the name of God, earning a living by honest means and sharing the fruits of one’s labor with others. Sikhism rejects caste and class systems and emphasizes service to humanity.
Initiated Sikhs are required to carry or maintain what they call the Five Ks: Kesh (unshorn hair covered by a turban), Kara (steel bracelet), Kanga (small wooden comb), Kacchera (undershorts) and Kirpan (a tiny ceremonial dagger). The five articles signify commitment to the faith and its ideals of love and service.
Other facts about Sikhism:
• It is the world’s fifth-largest religion, with 25 million adherents globally.
• Sikhs have been in the United States for more than 100 years and now number roughly 700,000.
• Sikhism is a religion distinct from Hinduism and Islam.
• Sikhs believe in one God and freedom of religion.
• Observant Sikhs abstain from meat, alcohol and illegal drugs.
• Sikhs cover their hair with a turban, representing a commitment to equality and justice.
• 99 percent of people wearing turbans in the United States are Sikhs of Indian descent.
Also in this series:
It's the income possibilities owner-operator Binda Atwal names as his principal attraction to trucking, for his young family – Atwal and his wife are the ...
Affected tractors are equipped with an automated Eaton UltraShift Plus or Eaton Advantage Transmission with right hand stalk shifter. In the affected trucks, the display on the instrument panel can indicate “N” when the shifter is set into “D” or “R,” causing the truck not to move.
The new “health-based requirements” will need to be met before a driver is allowed to register his or her truck through the Department of Motor Vehicles, CARB says. For older vehicles, CARB says they must be either replaced with a 2011 or newer vehicle or repowered with a 2010 or newer engine.