Rear-end crash mitigation system now standard on Peterbilt 579

Updated Mar 27, 2017
Peterbilt 579 EPIQ spec.Peterbilt 579 EPIQ spec.

Peterbilt this year will make the Bendix Advanced Wingman Fusion — meant to mitigation rear-end collisions — standard equipment on its on-highway Model 579 tractor. Peterbilt made the announcement Wednesday at the Mid-America Trucking Show. The system will be standard starting later this year.

The Wingman Advanced system works in conjunction with Bendix’s Electronic Stability Program and includes in-lane object recognition with alert, adaptive cruise control with braking and collision mitigation braking technology that senses and helps drivers mitigate rear-end collisions. The radar-based collision mitigation system delivers adaptive cruise control with braking, along with autonomous emergency braking technology to help drivers mitigate rear-end collisions.

Bendix Director of Customer Solutions & Marketing Fred Andersky says collision avoidance systems have shown, in some cases, a 70 percent reduction in rear-end collisions and another 70 percent reduction in the severity of accidents in the other 30 percent.

Showcase your workhorse
Add a photo of your rig to our Reader Rigs collection to share it with your peers and the world. Tell us the story behind the truck and your business to help build its story.
Submit Your Rig
Reader Rig Submission