Trucking news and briefs for Friday, June 5, 2020:
I-94 closures near Detroit set for this weekend
The Michigan Department of Transportation will close sections of I-94 in and around Detroit this weekend for construction projects.
Eastbound I-94 will be closed from Michigan Highway 3 (Gratiot Avenue) in Detroit to I-696, including all on and off ramps, from 5 a.m. Saturday to 10 p.m. Sunday. Eastbound I-94 traffic will take northbound Michigan Highway 3 in Detroit to eastbound I-696, then back to eastbound I-94. This closure will allow crews to safely work across all lanes to apply hot mix asphalt for a smoother driving surface.
Other work planned for I-94 this weekend includes:
- Eastbound I-94 will have one lane open from Little Mack Avenue to 14 Mile Road from 5 a.m. Saturday to 5 a.m. Monday for resurfacing.
- Eastbound I-94 will have one lane open from 21 Mile Road to Michigan Highway 19 (New Haven Road) from 4 a.m. Saturday to 5:30 p.m. Sunday for maintenance.
- Westbound I-94 will have one lane open from Michigan 10 to Michigan 1 (Woodward Avenue) for bridge work from 8 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Monday.
Highway lane closures planned in Phoenix this weekend
The Arizona DOT plans to close sections of Loop 101 and Loop 202 around Phoenix this weekend for construction projects.
The southbound Loop 202 will close between Lower Buckeye and Baseline roads from 10 p.m. Friday, June 5, until 5 a.m. Monday, June 8. If the work is completed earlier than scheduled, crews may close northbound Loop 202 between Lower Buckeye Road and I-10, including ramps connecting Loop 202 with I-10, for striping. That closure would take place from 1 a.m. Sunday, June 7, to 5 a.m. Monday, June 8.
Drivers using Loop 101 in north Phoenix and Scottsdale should plan for the following restrictions this weekend:
- Eastbound Loop 101 will be closed overnight between Seventh Street and Cave Creek Road from 10 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Saturday.
- Loop 101 will be narrowed to two lanes in both directions between Tatum Boulevard and 64th Street from 10 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Monday.
- Eastbound Loop 101 will be narrowed to two lanes between Hayden Road and Pima Road/Princess Drive from 10 p.m. Friday to 6 p.m. Sunday.
Daimler reopens all North American manufacturing plants after COVID-19 shutdowns
Daimler Trucks North America has now reopened all nine of its manufacturing locations in North America following the suspension of operations due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The reopening of the Saltillo and Santiago manufacturing plants in Mexico on June 1 marks the beginning of a full restart of operations for the company.
DTNA implemented universal safety protocols for its workers to make workspaces as safe as possible and to comply with all government regulations, including standardized cleaning regimens, redesigned workflows for social distancing, employee and visitor temperature screening and more.
Big G Express raises $25k for St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital
Shelbyville, Tennessee-based Big G Express recently used motorcycles instead of big rigs to raise money for a good cause for sick children. The fifth annual Big G Motorcycle Ride benefiting St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital on May 30 raised $25,000, which was $15,000 more than their goal this year.
Some 148 motorcycle riders drove 75 miles to a fundraiser auction at Jim Oliver’s Smokehouse Restaurant in Monteagle, Tennessee.
All proceeds from the ride go to St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital to help fight childhood cancer and other life-threatening diseases.