Create a free Overdrive account to continue reading

‘Not Daddy’s Money’: Gary Jones’ 1991 Peterbilt 379

user-gravatar Headshot

Lawson, Missouri-based Gary Jones, owner of SPB Trucking, showed this standout 1991 Peterbilt 379 in the PKY Truck Beauty Championship as part of the Mid-America Trucking Show in March.

The rig is nicknamed "Not Daddy's Money" as a nod to small-fleet owner Jones' trucking success through the years.

Not Daddy's Money Peterbilt 379The back of the cab reads "Earned... Not Given," signifying that Jones worked hard to get to the point where he can build truck show-worthy rigs.

Gary Jones' 1991 Peterbilt 379Missouri-based Charley Peaster and Peasterbilt Customs built this impressive 1991 Peterbilt 379 for Gary Jones. Peasterbilt also built another of Jones' trucks, a 1984 Peterbilt 362 cabover.

In the video above, Peaster talks through much of the build process. The truck was in pretty rough shape when he bought it out of California, he said. Jones then came to them with a lot of ideas for the truck, and "we worked together with Gary to fulfill what he wanted to build in his mind. We try really hard to satisfy that. It's hard to sometimes create everything a person dreams up, but this was his creation, and we kind of performed it for him."

Airbrush work on a Peterbilt 379Peasterbilt did all of the paint work except for the airbrushing. They had an airbrush artist come to their shop to do his work, then Peasterbilt added the clear coat over it.

Peaster said about 90% of the truck was built in his shop and the other 10% -- including the airbrush work and the upholstery on the interior -- was done by other companies.

Interior of Gary Jones' 1991 Peterbilt 379Peasterbilt also customized the interior of the rig to match the orange-and-white exterior.

Upholstery in Gary Jones' 1991 Peterbilt 379When the truck was being built, Peasterbilt did not have its upholstery shop yet, so that was one of the few additions on the truck that were not done in-house at their shop.

Peasterbilt likewise added custom fuel tanks with the filler cap in the back instead of on the side, rear T-bar, deck plate and much more.

Keeping up with its orange and white scheme, the truck features orange underglow lights, orange interior lights and more.

The Business Manual for Owner-Operators
Overdrive editors and ATBS present the industry’s best manual for prospective and committed owner-operators. You’ll find exceptional depth on many issues in the 2022 edition of Partners in Business.
Download
Partners in Business Issue Cover