Trucking news and briefs for Friday, Sept. 11, 2020:
FMCSA issues emergency declaration for West Coast, suspends hours regs for relief haulers
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration on Thursday issued an emergency declaration for California, Oregon and Washington due to wildfires sweeping across the region. The declaration suspends hours of service regulations for drivers and carriers providing direct assistance to the wildfire emergency in the three states.
The declaration includes drivers hauling supplies, goods, equipment and fuel into and within the states, as well as drivers providing other assistance in the form of emergency services.
The waiver is effective immediately through the duration of the emergency or until 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on Oct. 19, whichever is sooner.
BestPass releases new national, regional toll transponders
Toll management provider BestPass recently released two new transponder options for carriers that offer nationwide and regional toll coverage.
BestPass’ Complete Pass Scout includes three tolling technology protocols and covers 100% of major U.S. toll roads.
The Horizon Scout transponder, which includes two toll technology protocols, offers regional coverage in California, Colorado, Florida, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, South Carolina and Washington state.
Expect closures of I-17 in Arizona this weekend
Stretches of I-17 between Deer Valley and Jomax Road in north Phoenix will be closed at times this weekend, Sept. 11-13, as part of a paving project, according to the Arizona Department of Transportation.
ADOT says drivers should plan for heavy traffic and delays and consider alternate routes while the following I-17 closures are in place:
- Southbound I-17 between Jomax and Deer Valley roads from 9 p.m. Friday to 9 p.m. Saturday. Traffic will detour east on Jomax Road, south on 19th Avenue and west on Deer Valley Road.
- Northbound I-17 between Deer Valley and Jomax roads from 9 p.m. Saturday to 9 p.m. Sunday. Traffic will detour east on Deer Valley Road, north on 19th Avenue and west on Jomax Road.
ADOT adds that drivers should consider scheduling their I-17 travel earlier in the morning or later at night while the closures are in place.
Lane closures planned for I-515 in Las Vegas next week
The Nevada Department of Transportation is planning lane closures for northbound I-515 between Eastern Avenue and Las Vegas Boulevard for bridge inspections on Monday, Sept. 14 through Thursday, Sept. 17.
The closures are planned as follows:
- Sept. 14 – Two inside travel lanes will be closed from 9 p.m. Monday through 4 a.m. Tuesday
- Sept. 15 – Two inside travel lanes will be closed from 9 p.m. Tuesday through 4 a.m. Wednesday
- Sept. 16 – Two outside travel lanes will be closed from 9 p.m. Wednesday through 4 a.m. Thursday.