Trucking news and briefs for Thursday, May 5, 2022:
Truck Leasing Task Force application period extended
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration is extending the deadline for Truck Leasing Task Force (TLTF) applications through May 13.
Mandated by the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law and a long-term effort of the Trucking Action Plan, the TLTF will evaluate the impacts of commercial motor vehicle lease agreements and discuss best practices for future agreements.
FMCSA encourages diverse, non-traditional representatives, especially women and people of color, to apply to serve on the task force. To apply, provide the following materials to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- A letter expressing your interest and qualifications to serve on the committee
- A resume of relevant work experience
- One letter of recommendation from someone who knows you and your professional accomplishments firsthand from a supervisor or a colleague
The TLTF will cover these areas related to truck leasing arrangements, including:
- Exploring predatory truck leasing arrangements in coordination with DOL and the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
- Evaluating common truck lease agreements and their terms, identifying and reviewing those that are potentially inequitable in the motor carrier industry
- Reviewing agreements available to drayage drivers at ports
- Studying the impact of truck leasing agreements on the net compensation of truck drivers
- Examining truck leasing arrangements and financing arrangements among motor carriers, entry-level drivers, driver training providers and others involved in the industry
- Assessing resources that assist truck drivers in reviewing the financial impacts of leasing agreements
TA Citizen Driver nominations open
TravelCenters of America has opened the nomination period for its 2022 TA Citizen Driver Contest.
Each year, TA hosts the contest as an initiative to give back to the trucking community. It recognizes over-the-road truck drivers who evoke public respect for the truck driving profession.
Families, friends and coworkers can nominate a truck driver who exemplifies a strong work ethic and character through the online nomination form through June 30.
There will be two grand prize winners for the 2022 TA Citizen Driver Award, as well as 10 finalists who will also receive awards. Additionally, there will be a live award ceremony honoring the winners and their tenacity.
I-10 closures planned in Phoenix this weekend
Drivers planning to travel across I-10 in the Phoenix area this weekend should plan ahead, allow extra travel time and use alternate routes as needed this weekend (May 6-9) due to freeway closures needed for improvement projects on the east and west sides of the Valley, according to the Arizona Department of Transportation.
Westbound I-10 will be closed between the Loop 202 interchange and U.S. 60 from 10 p.m. Friday, May 6, to noon Sunday, May 8. All Loop 202 ramps to westbound I-10 will be closed. Drivers can use eastbound Loop 202 to northbound Loop 101 in the Chandler/Tempe areas and use westbound U.S. 60 to reconnect with I-10 beyond the closure. Drivers on northbound Loop 101 also can consider using westbound Loop 202 to reach I-10 in the downtown Phoenix area.
Additionally, eastbound I-10 will be narrowed to two lanes between U.S. 60 and Guadalupe Road from 3:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. Saturday, May 7, for sign removal.
Eastbound I-10 will be closed between U.S. 60 and the Loop interchange from 8 p.m. Saturday to 4 a.m. Monday, May 9, for utility work as part of the I-10 Broadway Curve Improvement Project. Drivers can use eastbound U.S. 60 and southbound Loop 101 to westbound Loop 202 to connect with eastbound I-10 beyond the closure.
Eastbound I-10 will also be closed between Avondale Boulevard and Loop 101 in the West Valley from 9 p.m. Friday to 9 p.m. Saturday for permanent lane striping and other work as part of pavement improvement project.
Finally, westbound I-10 will be closed between 75th Avenue and Loop 101 from 9 p.m. Saturday to 5 a.m. Monday for lane striping and other work as part of pavement improvement project.